Blog: Take Care of Yourself & Each Other
normal circumstances, it's of individual and societal value to take care of both oneself and others wherever and whenever it's humanly possible to so. During these uncertain times with the COVID-19 outbreak, it's evermore important to care for ourselves and one another with unwavering compassion.
Even more important than the warmth and affection we receive, is the warmth and affection we give. It is by giving warmth and affection, by having a genuine sense of concern for others, in other words through compassion, that we gain the conditions for genuine happiness. — Dalai Lama
This specific time in history—in our immediate and greater world—brings with it a mixture of emotions and challenges at both the individual and community levels, and rightfully so. I've put together some resources, some are specific to the Nevada (USA) region, but I anticipate that similar resources have already begun to sprung up in other communities across the country and world.
(Inter)national, State and Local
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention - COVID-19 updates
- World Health Organization (WHO) - COVID-19 updates and advice for the public
- Small Business Association - Disaster assistance for small businesses
- Nevada Unemployment Insurance - Short YouTube videos on how to file for unemployment
- Nevada Division of Public and Behavioral Health - Prevention Guidelines
- Washoe County (Nevada) - Updates on COVID-19
- Washoe County Schools (Nevada) - Update on COVID-19
- Homeless Shelters in Reno (Nevada) - City of Reno Resource Listing
- Food Bank of Northern NV - They're offering meals through their Kids Cafe Meal Program during school closures
- The Boys and Girls Club of Truckee Meadows - The BGC is providing drive by meal services
- Laughing Planet Cafe - Is offering free kids meals due to school closures
- COVID Near You - Contribute your health status daily and help track the COVID-19 pandemic. How are you feeling?
- American Sign Language COVID-19 Updates - YouTube videos in ASL provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- The COVID Tracking Project - The COVID Tracking Project collects information from 50 US states, the District of Columbia, and 5 other US territories to provide the most comprehensive testing data we can collect for the novel coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2.
- John Hopkin's Interactive Dashboard - Johns Hopkins Center for Systems Science and Engineering developed this dashboard to provide researchers, public health authorities, and the general public with a user-friendly tool to track the outbreak as it unfolds.
- The Novel Coronavirus Infection Map - Provides visualizations of infection histories globally or broken down by country. It’s the work of the Humanistic GIS Lab at the University of Washington
- University of Washington's Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation Dashboard - The dataset for this dashboard contains highly individual data for each patient such as date of symptom onset, date of laboratory confirmation, and more.
- Tips for working and learning remote - A few things I've picked up over the years on working remote that may help some folks in the transition.
Take care of yourself and each other,
I am a problem solver: a tech and people leader with a passion and proven track-record in building and leading empathetic, productive teams—remote and on-site—within a continuous learning culture, while championing usable, inclusive digital products and online experiences. I am also a father, advisor, life-long learner, advocate, community builder, and speaker—I am Human. Learn more