Blog: Joining Sierra Club's Toiyabe Chapter Executive Committee
I am excited and honored to accept an opportunity to step into a leadership role this year as an Executive Committee (ExCom) member of the Sierra Club Toiyabe Chapter. The Toiyabe Chapter is a regional arm of the Sierra Club; it is comprised of the area's local activists in Nevada and the eastern Sierra.
Sierra Club Goal #1: Solve the climate crisis in a way that protects the environment and also is enduring, fair, and equitable.
ExCom Member Responsibilities
Some of my responsibilities will include the following:
- Promote the mission of the Sierra Club
- Participate in Executive Committee and General meetings
- Promote the Outings program
- Participate in long-range planning
- Actively assist in fundraising activities
- Ensure financial stability and solvency
- Provider Leadership and Vision within the chapter
- Lead and provide educational training, and conservation opportunities to the general membership
Sierra Club Goal #2: Explore, enjoy, and protect our nation's lands, waters, air and wildlife.
Toiyabe Chapter Goals
One of the Chapter's core goals is introducing people to the wonders of nature through its regional outings programs. In order to accomplish this goal for current and future generations, the Toiyabe chapter is actively fighting for the following as well:
- Protecting national monuments, the Ruby Mountains and other treasured landscapes from Trump Administration's efforts to sell them off to the highest bidder, or open them up to oil & gas drilling;
- Engaging with our elected environmental champions at all levels to pursue 100% renewable energy, community solar, protecting Nevada's water law, better infrastructure for electric vehicles and mass transit, and walkable, healthier communities instead of sprawl;
- Defending other public lands—and your access to them—in the Desert National Wildlife Refuge, Washoe County, Clark County, Pershing County, and elsewhere during public lands legislation;
- Advocating for smart-growth, open space protection, and transportation that makes sense in regional planning efforts; Encouraging state and local governments in the region to transition to 100% renewable energy;
- Protecting essential waters from "water-mining" (using water faster than it recharges) and development;
Sierra Club Goal #3: Engage and support a broad, diverse, inclusive, and powerful movement.
We have some good work ahead of us. If you'd like to connect and get involved, please feel free to reach out, or check out our chapter site for more information on opportunities to take action at the Chapter or Group levels.
- Representation Matters
- Joining Tesla Motor's Web Team
- Values-aligned Entrepreneurship
- Batteries Included: Energy Independence
I operate from a place of compassion, possibility and imagination. My work and efforts share a common goal: create a better, sustainable and equitable world by building inclusive communities, products & experiences.